KEY HELIPAD PROJECTS THAT MAKE THE DIFFERENCE
The HELP Appeal is involved in a variety of important helipad projects throughout England & Scotland. Many of these reflect the critical role played by Major Trauma Centres and the vital need for the right kind of base infrastructure.
A trauma system is specially designed to care for patients with multiple serious injuries that could result in death or serious disability, including head injuries, life-threatening wounds and multiple fractures.
Major Trauma Centres are set up to provide this specialised care. They are hubs that work closely with a series of local trauma units. They operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week and are staffed by consultant-led specialist teams, with access to the best diagnostic and treatment facilities, including orthopaedics, neurosurgery and radiology.
Pre-hospital assessment and care is crucial – it means Air Ambulance crews work closely with the major trauma network to ensure the most urgent patients are sent to the most appropriate place, often bypassing their local hospital for definitive treatment – and being able to land close to the Emergency Departments is obviously a vital factor.
The map below shows the many operational Helipads that have been built due to the support given via the HELP Appeal. However, there are over 16 other Helipads that are in very much needed and the in the planning stage – we still need your help and support, so check out the list of helipads below that are due to open in 2016 or 2017.
ENGLAND Major Trauma Centres:
- Manchester: Planned opening date 2017
- Nottingham: Planned opening date 2017
- Leeds: Planned opening date 2017
- Brighton: Planned opening date 2017
- Hull: Planned opening date 2018
- Luton & Dunstable: Planned opening date 2018
- Salford: coming soon
- Sheffield Children’s: coming soon
ENGLAND A&E Hospitals:
- Worcester: Planned opening date 2017
- Leicester: Planned opening date 2020
- Scarborough: Planned opening date 2017
- Hereford: Planned opening date 2018
Specialist Spinal Injuries Unit:
- Stoke Mandeville: Planned opening date 2018
SCOTLAND Major Trauma Centres:
- Edinburgh: Planned opening date 2017
SCOTLAND A&E Hospitals:
OPERATIONAL AND PLANNED HELIPADS